[Feature Sugestion] Named screenshots in WoW Classic/Retail

Hi all,

I’m developing an addon for wow which will take screenshots when the PLAYER_LEVEL_UP event is triggered.

My intention is to build the animation across the lvls, so at the end the player could be able to find an external tool to create a gif file with those screenshots.

The request comes into place when the player reaches lvl 60 (in my case I’m pointing for classic). At this lvl my intention was to capture the full animation, but this is not possible at the moment because the screenshots has a fixed naming pattern and they overwrite themselves, in other words, you can take up to 1 screenshot per second.

If the function Screenshot() would be overloaded with Screenshot(String name) we could create this screenshots to build an gif.

I think it could be a nice addition and quite easy to implement but it is not my decission :slight_smile:

Some things that the API team should look if they like the idea is to check that if the addon passes a name like this “…/…/path/ScreenshotName.jpg” it should be rejected. We don’t want dodgy addons.

Another security check could be that you cannot generate more than 20 screenshots per second and no longer than X seconds per minute.

It is just an idea, hopefully it will be interesting enough.

What do you think people?

Thanks all!

wrong forum man head on over to the classic wow forums and post there this is the web api not the ingame api

Thanks. Do you know which forum is it exactly? I mean this is for the wow API not just classic or retail.

Hey Rafa,

Firstly, thanks for the feature suggestion!

Unfortunately (as Ulminia has stated) this forum is particularly focused towards the web/out of game APIs offered by Blizzard. For in-game API discussions concerning WoW, the best forum would likely be the UI & Macro forums.