Diablo 2 Unable to identify version

After years I decided to come back to Diablo 2 LOD. I installed Diablo but when I try to login to battle.net I get the following message: “unable to identify version”.

I searched this and many other forums for a solution but still no luck. I’m running windows Vista and the Diablo patch 1.14d. I tried the following:

• run as admin;
  • run in compatibility mode (tried different modes);
  • turn of security programs;
  • windowed mode;
  • manually install latest patch;
  • created a new admin account;
  • deleted the HKEY (not sure what I did but I followed some steps online);
  • reinstalled the game.
2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. tried all methods of troubleshooting, nothing worked.

1 Like

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I send a support ticket. The answer they send me didn’t work for me but you can try it. This is the answer they send me:

"I see you are running Windows Vista, the problem you have is often caused by using older operating systems. You can try the following steps:

1. Rigth click on the Diablo II shortcut
  2. Click Properties
  3. Compatibility tab
  4. Check the box “Run the program in compatibility for”
  5. Select your OS from the drop-down
  6. Click Apply and then OK

Launch the game

If this does not resolve the problem however and all the steps in the guide above has been followed to the full extent you might want to consider simply upgrading to a more recent version of Windows 10."

Edit: if you find the answer please let me know.

Windows Vista is not supported for Diablo II. The game requires Windows 7 or newer versions to run the game. Here’s our system requirements for Diablo II.

Thanks for your reply. Upgraded to windows 7 and that worked. Now I’m dealing with some lag issues.

Glad to hear that fixed it up, Prior! For the lag issues, what gateway are you connecting to? Could you run a WinMTR test? Run this test until the problem occurs for 10 to 15 minutes. If no data appears within the WinMTR test, could you run a traceroute and pathping test instead?

Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
WinMTR Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

1 Like

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Diablo II (2000) Unable to identify version [2021]