Diablo 2 not working on latest mac OS Catalina

I bought the game and can’t play. It’s ridiculus! You should fix it or payback our money

You may contact the support. They were nice to me and paid it all back. But it doesn’t solve the main thing - I want to play the game really bad.

I am checking on this thread everyday with high hopes. Can you give us (passionate and devoted players) at least an estimation? It would be best, if you could post status updates to this thread every once in a while in a way of “Keep it running or keep them informed.” That would be professional.

2 Likes

I really think you guys should have a fix on this by now. It is very frustrating. When I first contacted you guys about it, I was at least able to use an old windows laptop, but now it isn’t running at all. The battery is done. PLEASE FIX!!! I am having D2LOD withdrawals. lol. surely you guys should have an update for this by now. please let us know something with an eta

Will you send a notification to players who own the game, so that we could get it installed as soon as you update the application? I don’t want to download the downloader like every 3 days to check if the problem has been solved…

3 Likes

I think they have one person who is working on this and it may even be very low priority on that person’s to do list. That person might even be a part time employee and it’s the Christmas season so he might not even be at work.

This might very well be true, but I hope not. But then again it sure does seem like it since Diablo 2 LOD is not generating any major revenue for Blizzard if anything at all. So it does NOT need additional resources. Although I check this thread from time to time, I don’t expect anything anytime soon folks, sad but true.

1 Like

+1! It is not a big deal to recompile the application with x64 architecture. This could be resolved within 1-2 days with all the internal processes you have.

Purchased D2 yesterday to freshen up my old memory but soon after I realized it was not working on current version of macOS.

Hey Blizzard, if you are selling the product now, then you should make it work on current version. At least you should have had a warning message.

No updates more than two months? You gotta be kidding me…

9 Likes

D2 is the only game I still have passion for, can’t accept the fact it can’t be played on Mac 2019.

4 Likes

It should not take this long to convert to 64bit, absolutely ridiculous.

You sell this product, it should work with latest OS if not it should be pulled from sale.

5 Likes

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, not helping

Apple updated MacOS to remove 32bit apps not Blizzard. Blizzard just has to convert Diablo 2 too 64bit which should NOT take this long.

4 Likes

First time trying to install and play diablo 2 on a MacBook and found even the downloader cannot run on Catalina. Lol

2 Likes

After 2 months, nothing changed. Plz solve this issue asap.

1 Like

Waiting for update too…

1 Like

I was really hoping for a present for Xmas from you Blizzard :frowning:

1 Like

Okay, for those who don’t mind spending extra 50$ you can use Crossover. Please note, I am not affiliated to Crossover in any way, I was just trying to find a way to enjoy my most favorite game, things like Wineskin didn’t work for me and a separate Windows partition is just too much and actually more expensive. OK, here we go.

(replace “*” with a “.” for URLs, apparently, I cannot post links…)

1. Open your Mac
  2. Go to codeweavers*com and get Crossover. You can use their trial version for 14 days.
  3. Download Diablo 2 Classic installer for Windows battle*net/download/getLegacy?product=D2DV&locale=enUS&os=WIN
  4. Download Diablo 2 LOD installer for WIndows battle*net/download/getLegacy?product=D2XP&locale=enUS&os=WIN
  5. Open Crossover and from the main top menu choose “Bottle” --> “New Bottle”. Give it a name like “Diablo 2”. Choose “Windows 10-64 bit”.
  6. Locate your bottle from the left menu and click “Run command”. Make sure your “Diablo 2” bottle is chosen. Click “Browse”. Locate the Diablo 2 Classic installation file in your Mac Downloads folder. Click “Run”.
  7. Mac will throw an error “Downloader_Diablo2_enUS.exe cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified” - click “Cancel”. Once a Windows window pops up click “OK”. Diablo 2 Classic will be downloaded. 7) Once downloaded, prepare your Diablo 2 Classic CD-key and follow the installation instructions.
  8. Repeat Steps 5-7 but this time use Diablo 2 LOD installer file instead of the Classic one. Use your Diablo 2 LOD CD-key, of course.
  9. Optionally, right-click your Diablo 2 bottle and choose “Open C: Drive”. Expand “users” --> “crossover” --> “Desktop” and delete two installer folders. This will save you a good of 2GB of space.
  10. In Crossover you will now see 2 games.

I tested the game and it works flawlessly with at least Single Player. The only thing I had to do is to go to video settings and adjust contrast.

For those who wants Plugy, go to this article reddit*com/r/Diablo/comments/7ggicg/help_me_get_diablo_2_lod_running_with_plugy. All you need to know is that you can essentially use Step 5 to install any Windows software, so create a new bottle (Step 4) and follow the guide from the article by downloading and installing the software mentioned there (1.13c Diablo + Plugy), same way!

Hopefully it works for you and Merry Xmas!

1 Like

I do mind spending an extra $50 to play a game that should work as advertised.

2 Likes

Hey, Blizzard! It is 30 days without any response. Please share the latest information you have at the moment.
Any ETA for x64 compatibility?
Does development Team is aware about this issue?

D2 is not free so people want to have an answers!
When do we expect to play the Game?

5 Likes

I recently got this working with Crossover 19 and even on BNet.

I made a post on the Diablo subreddit on Reddit which people can look up.

However it is unclear if the workaround will result in a ban.

@Blizzard - we know you allow sandboxing and running WINE (and derivatives such as Crossover) - but if the game is unable to write to the folder where the temporary mpq-file is created during game creation on BNet sessions from outside force which the user has no control over, would such a scenario result in a ban?

Ostensibly, such a scenario is all that is required for the game to work in Crossover 19 for all your users stuck in this situation.

1 Like

Was looking for a little nostalgia, instead I just flushed my cash down the toilet. Thanks blizz…

2 Likes