Diablo 2 Checking Versions / Strange Bug?

Hello,

I recently wanted to return to Diablo 2 after years and years of not playing. I installed the game and tried to connect and I am getting the dreaded “checking versions” and “unable to connect” messages in D2. I bought a new set of cdkeys, and I am still having the same issue… “checking versions.” I have tried reinstalling 7+ times, running in compatibility mode, and every other thing I can think of to get online. I don’t want to continually keep logging in if the game isn’t going to work.

I noticed when I attempt to connect, and then go to close the window while it is on “checking versions” for a split second I see the account creation screen right before the window closes… Is this a temp ban I am on? Is there something wrong with my install?

Please help! My friend and I were eager to return and play… He got on no problem, I have not been able to even get to the account creation screen. What should I do here?

blizzard will tell you to buy new keys

Checking versions is usually the sign of a temp ban, but if it’s your first time logging in after a few years, then it’s hard to say. If you e-mail customer support, they should be able to tell you if you’re suspended and for how long.

I got a temp ban a little while ago ago for logging in and out too rapidly. The tech support guy e-mailed me and said it would last for two weeks.

Compatability mode doesn’t really help with anything with the current Diablo patch, so I wouldn’t bother. All you can do is message tech support and ask if you’re temp banned; they’re usually happy to answer it for anyone as long as you’re nice about it.

New CD Keys shouldn’t be necessary here. The IP Address does have a temporary restriction until the 1st of September. It looks like a VPN may have been used by someone who shares the IP address or by accident, but our post here goes through temporary restrictions in further details.