D3 1016 error code- troubleshooting guide no help

Ive been getting disconnected on a very regular basis this season and the technical troubleshooting guide for the 1016 error was no help. I am able to play starcraft 2 without incident, not sure any connection can be made between the two games but I find it odd. How can I check my connection with the servers? Anything else I can do other than get new internet (on a wireless connection with no high speed landline in the area currently)?

1016 is a generic code for “disconnection” which can have hundreds of causes.

Ouch. I am not sure what else you can do. If the path between you and the server has issues, there are going to be connection problems.

D3 servers are hosted in Los Angeles as far as I know. I am not sure if Starcraft 2 is a diff location.

WARNING -DO NOT TRY THIS WITH DIABLO 2 or you get banned. Something that can help is a VPN in that it serves as a different “road” to carry your packet traffic. That is great if the issue is in the middle somewhere.

However, if the issue is at home-ish, with your local connection not even that helps.

Have you tried asking on Starcraft 2 Tech Support forum?

You will likely be asked to run a WinMTR which is a nice test that checks every single physical hop your data takes between you and the game server. It tracks latency and packet loss over time - so let it run for 10 mins or so when you are having issues.

That is different than a tracert which just checks a split second worth of data (3 packets) and serves as a snapshot. the WinMTR does a much better job of catching intermittent issues.