Classic battle.net temp restriction policies are hurting innocent players

They could just easily stop offering the service and not have to deal with it all. Thankfully they have not yet.

But they aren’t dealing with it at all. Hundreds if not more people who have never botted/cheated are getting swept up in these bans. And to make it worse when they try to reach out and find out what’s going on they are finding themselves on the receiving end of accusations and mistreatment by support and some other players on this forum. Very sad state of affairs for classic battle.net. I have since moved on to some S19 D3 and the new 3.9 content for PoE… still kind of bitter though I had a level 73 Hammerdin with Spirit sword and shield a I had just built a smoke armor. Also, all of the loot that I had found that wasn’t something I could use specifically for this character I was joining some random open games and giving it to other players (in the spirit of the holiday, of course). And how is my kindness repaid? With a ban. Good stuff.

I have not seen a single screenshot of this yet, not that it isn’t true, but it’s highly unlikely.

But they aren’t dealing with it at all.

They are. There’s a lot more that goes on besides what you see.

Also, all of the loot that I had found that wasn’t something I could use specifically for this character I was joining some random open games and giving it to other players (in the spirit of the holiday, of course).

IDK about you but I play to find items, not have them given to me. Though it is nice, I think it’s actually a disservice.

And how is my kindness repaid? With a ban. Good stuff.

Blizzard/Bnet owes you nothing because you decided to give your gear away. Did your account get an 8 code? How do you know you have a ban?

1 Like

The mistreatment I refer to is receiving temporary bans for things the customer is wholly unaware of. When a normal player receives 14 to 30 day bans for connection preferences and gameplay behavior restrictions (grinding runs) that are not posted anywhere for the customer to be made aware of without any course for remediation that is mistreatment and a bad business practice. The accusatory stuff I was referring to certain forum members jumping into posts accusing people of botting and cheating. I’m not going to do your work for you if you care to see this stuff open your eyes and read some posts from these players asking why they have been mistreated this way and receives these unfair and unwarranted temp bans.

They are. There’s a lot more that goes on besides what you see.

All I see are people receiving temp bans they don’t deserve in the name of policies that make no sense, and Blizzard support not caring to change their ways “because it’s an old game” and whatever other excuses they can come up with to not help the customer.

IDK about you but I play to find items, not have them given to me. Though it is nice, I think it’s actually a disservice.

LOL not the point let’s not digress here, was just giving an example of none botter/profiteering behavior.

Blizzard/Bnet owes you nothing because you decided to give your gear away. Did your account get an 8 code? How do you know you have a ban?

Again, not the point. And the only thing Blizzard owes me as well as every other mistreated customer is an apology and some effort towards changing their policies so that either customers can be made aware ahead of time of these restrictive policies so they can remediate connections issues and/or be aware of the restrictive game play policies so they do not receive these bans in the first place. Apparently the botters have already adapted so the only thing these policies prevent is unknowing players from enjoying the product. And again, the server stability argument does not matter at all for those of us who can’t play anyway.

if nobody did nothing battlenet would get a tombstone, bury itself and shut down. you are mixing up customer service with behind the scenes developers who wish they worked on something new

1 Like

Yeah. So I was super hyped for Diablo 4, and decided to download this game again to get a nostalgia fix, and remember what one of my favorite games i’ve ever played was like.

I’ve been playing pretty hard for about 10 days. No bots. No cheats. No map hack. Just some crazy hardcore grinding and trading for gear. Been super exciting, and have fallen in love with this game all over again.

Until now, when I just tried logging in and am getting a message “Disconnected from battle.net. Please Reconnect.” Can’t connect on any server either.

After doing a little bit of research, it seems I have been hit with a temporary ban. Part of blizzards plan to teach us all we can’t bot I guess? WHAT. A. JOKE. There are literally bots running public games 24/7. It’s not hard to find them. And it shouldn’t be hard to distinguish a real player form a bot.

The best I can figure, is that I just tried to log in from an airport wifi (been traveling a lot), and that IP has some kind of problem with it.

This is seriously a huge bummer. And I really don’t care to wait 14 - 30 days to see if blizzard decides to once again allow me access to a game that I paid for, not only a few weeks ago to replay, but also once before many years ago.

I think I’ll pass on Diablo 4 at this point.

1 Like

“I just tried to log in from an airport wifi”

That will get you a temporary restriction. As far as the duration, I’m not sure. Don’t try and play Diablo 2 with anything else but a residential class internet service and you’ll be OK.

As far as why this happens, blame the cheaters, they’re the ones that forced Blizzards hand to take these actions to help contain the cheating problem.

That will get you a temporary restriction. As far as the duration, I’m not sure. Don’t try and play Diablo 2 with anything else but a residential class internet service and you’ll be OK.

Yeah… So, as other people have said in this thread. How on earth was I supposed to know that I’m not allowed to use this wifi before I got restricted and had to research the issue?

Any ban, no matter how long the duration, is inappropriate for this kind of thing. And the only comment I can find from blizzard said something along the lines of “Please understand, this is not a punishment. It’s for server stability.”

I call b.s. on that one. If it truly was all about server stability, the ban would be lifted the moment I tried to log in from an “acceptable” wifi network. Which I have already done.

And as far as blaming the cheaters. It appears that blizzard has already completely failed at containing ANY kind of cheating problem. In my casual play, I have already encountered and met MULTIPLE players who have OPENLY admitted to using bots. One of them literally had his characters numbered from 1-1000. Another had very inconspicuously named their characters something along the lines of “Bot-1” and “Bot-2”.

This just makes for an incredibly terrible playing experience.

They could just easily stop offering the service and not have to deal with it all. Thankfully they have not yet.

They charged me for it 9 days ago when I bought the game. Just sayin. If they still wanna make money off it, they shouldn’t be opposed to earning it.

I agree with you, I feel your pain.

As far as controlling bots, I still think if they added a CAPTCHA to the game at the point of joining/creating games, it would help reduce the botting problem immensely.

1 Like

I still have ZERO, count it… ZERO temps since playing ladder and NL this season. WHY YOU MIGHT ASK? I open or join a game and tend to stay there until the game is not useful anymore. I spend time doing things, getting a lot done. Everyone should try it instead of doing Chaos/Baal or Cbaal runs for 2-5 minutes. If you’re doing that or short MF runs to farm specific stuff you deserve your bans. You deserve to wait while the rest of us play the full game and hit all the goochie spots because we’re not screwing up the realms for everyone else!

1 Like

I think the majority of the people are complaining about being slapped with restrictions for reasons other than creating sub 3 minute games… Like trying to connect with public/business internet or while a VPN is active, things that are not clearly spelled out as a big no-no when the newcomer buys the game, tries to connect and gets slapped with the banhammer.

You’re not allowed to use VPNs and proxies, they are against the rules cuz they been abused for almost 20 years. Thats how cheaters load more and more bots. GLAD TO SEE THE SYSTEM WORKS!

All those stupid connects are used to exploit and bot while hiding ur main accounts so ya’ll deserve to get rekt by any means necessary. One of the biggest stoppers to item shops for a long time was banning of proxy, VPN and known abused net connections.

Why is your favorite way to play the game better than someone else’s? And why does that make you more entitled to play it, or be treated kindly?

$20 for the lifetime you play it?

$20 for the lifetime you play it.

Or, in my case, the 9 days I played it.

Why way isn’t breaking the realms and causing lag you moron. This isn’t even an argument. If you want to spam games play single player. My way doesn’t affect anyone because it’s how it’s supposed to be played. Your way is reckless, selfish and banned :slight_smile:

If this confuses you still there’s no helping.

Thanks for letting me know you’re falsely targeting my posts and promoting harassment of me for promoting my own facts/opinions. Get a life loser, and stop cheating.

Do we have to purchase a whole new D2+LoD if we used a vpn? 15 days since i cannot connect

Restrictions can last between 14 to 30 days. Sorry to hear that bud sounds like no D2 during Holiday time off. =/
One of the other reasons I myself was pretty mad about these policies… just straight up ruins the fun during some end of year vacation time.

Edit:
I know support is probably trying to steer clear of this thread but can someone official please let me know why one of my posts in this thread was removed and my account put on hold? You have a certain forum member literally jumping around threads breaking forum rules and harassing other members and I call him out for it and you delete that post? If it was an automated system thing I assume he went and got a few other of his troll friends and they brigade reported that post just to get it taken down? I mean, I guess it’s just another example of a backwards blizzard policy… ban legitimate players so the bots can have a lag free battle.net… and remove posts from someone warning others to steer clear of a troll who makes inflammatory and accusatory posts towards other forum members and instead of taking down the troll posts you take down the post warning others. Makes me wonder if maybe someone in your company maybe had the idea to update the ToS or connection screen text to warn new players of these restrictions and you just fired them or something LOL
Considering the trends and negative effects of these policies and decisions I would not be surprised one bit…

2 Likes

I work on Digital Lighting Control systems, im 100% against developing for games. But if I got an opportunity to develop for d2 (NOT d3 or d4) I’d sign in a second with a pay cut