Cannot launch Battle.net Desktop App

Today after a restart of my system following installing latest nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates, I started getting immediate crash to desktop when trying to launch Battle.net. Tried a lot of things to no avail, so I uninstalled, deleted all Battle.net data from both ProgramData and user AppData, and then reinstalled. Now when I start the app, the Battle.net symbol on the login page will animate indefinitely, and my mouse cursor will perpetually show the Windows “working” animation. See video here: Battle.net Login Issue - YouTube

Main system information: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master / nVidia GTX 1080 (driver version 451.67) / Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.900)

Update edit: Nothing I tried worked, so I just went ahead and restored a full OS drive weekly backup from a few days ago. Then ran the same Windows Update and nVidia driver update, as well as reinstall Battle.net (due to it originally being on a different SSD than my OS), and this time it seems to work without any issue.

So, no idea what caused the problem, but thanks to having a good automated backup system, it’s been fixed.

1 Like

Hey there GokieKS! Thank you for taking the time to reach out with that information as well as the update. I’m happy to hear that you’ve been able to get back online in the Battle.net Desktop App!

The Battle.net Desktop App is coded heavily into Windows, and so this behavior sounds as though something at the Windows-level was corrupted (relatively common occurrence with Windows updates) after which restoring from backup managed to resolve. If this happens again, many problems related to your installation of Windows can be resolved by creating a new administrator account, logging into it, and trying the Battle.net Desktop App there. But fingers crossed this won’t be necessary.

If you run into any further technical issues, please don’t hesitate to let us know. Happy gaming!