Banned from WoW?

So earlier this morning I received a text from my father telling me whenever he tried to log into our wow account it says he’s banned. I checked me email and saw that our account was in fact banned. It didn’t go into any detail at all about it other than it was for “hacking/botting” now I’ve never used anything other than permitted addons and my father assured me he did the same. Im mostly inclined to believe him. I haven’t played much the past few months, maybe just a week in total that was spent in Orgimmar buying mats off the AH and crafting tmog. My father on the other hand played quite a bit, and he does the same. Except he is a major AH player. He loves to play the AH and make gold. He uses a controversial addon called TSM which from what I’ve heard had problems with blizzards rules before. So I’m curious if this may have been the issue. Blizzard tells me they may not even reply to my appeal, let alone repeal the ban. If they dont I don’t particularly care, blizzard and wow have been on a major downtrend the past decade. I’m juat curious if this has happened to anyone else? I would post this in the WoW support, but since my account was banned I cannot.

One other thing, my father occasionally purchases, using ingame gold, to buy runs through raids and mythics for achievements/mounts. Now i haven’t played in awhile, but have they made this against the rules by chance? Although I’m not sure how it would fall under the botting/hacking catagory.

That is standard. They don’t indicate exactly what was detected as it helps the bot makers learn to evade bans.

That is not really controversial. Addons operate within Blizzard’s sandbox. If Blizz does not like an addon, they break it.

That is still fine. The limitations are related to advertising runs for gold - you can’t do it in the Dungeon/Raid finder tool and can’t spam Trade. Doing runs and paying gold for them though is still allowed.

The message you got for the account is likely related to the means of acquiring materials to sell on the AH. That would be most common reason. Keep in mind that any automation of gameplay is not allowed. That includes macros made outside the game that can do things the in-game macro maker can’t. It can also mean automation of skill rotations within dungeons and raids.

The person who is the official account holder needs to be the one to put in an appeal. They will double check the logs to ensure that the logs back the account action.

Last - unless you are a minor you should not be sharing an account with a parent.

Only you are allowed to access an account registered in your name. We don’t recognize the transfer of accounts between individuals. Activities performed on your account are your liability.

You may not share your account or password with anyone, except if you are a parent or guardian, in which case you may permit one minor child to use your account. You may not use your account at the same time, and you are liable for activities conducted by the minor child.

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and the use of your user name and password. You are responsible for all uses of your information, even if you don’t authorize them. Security of your account is your responsibility.

1 Like

Just a quick clarification the accounts are shared through the blizzard battle.net app where it allows you to switch between accounts like WoW1 and WoW2, we play on seperate subscriptions and can both play at the same time. We do not share 1 single account that can only be used one at a time

You are not allowed to share your Battlenet account - except with one minor child. A battlenet account can hold 8 WoW licenses. Only the person who is the account holder at the Bnet level is allowed to access those licenses.

The limits are not down at the WoW license level as you might have thought.

If you are both adults then you are indeed violating the account access policy.

If the account is perma banned though then I suppose it does not even matter at this point. If either of you does start playing again, make sure you are each on your own Battlenet Account. It also prevents issues where one person gets penalties applied that end up impacting the other.

I understand that. But what about this specific situation where my family and I have been playing on these accounts for ~16 years and back then I was the one minor who played on the account. I then took over ownership of these accounts after I turned 18, but they were still ours as a family. Is there no grandfather system in place that would allow this? Or is it just a flat out no exception rule. Like the moment I turned 18, i was required to make my own seperate account?

No, there is no grandfather clause. The rule has been in place since WoW started. They most certainly don’t try to ban families for this. They try to explain the rules and help resolve it.

What is supposed to happen is that when you turn 18 your parent submits a ticket to CS to get the name on the account changed to yours - the new adult! Then it is your account and all is proper and good. The other option is to move a WoW license over to a new Bnet account to split the account. So one of you would have needed a new Bnet, but CS could move the license. Of course, anything Bnet account bound would stay on the first Bnet account.

Where you run into problems is with security issues, bans, payment issues, or even compromises. As the only person who can submit a ticket is the person who has their name on the bnet account.

If you guys do get the account back and unbanned, you can work with CS to sort out a way to separate the two of you within the limits of what they can do. Also be aware that most things like this require IDs to prove the account holder is who they say they are and can require proof of relationships.

It is so much easier when it gets dealt with at the time :frowning:

I see. Thank you for explaining. Overall I dont agree with blizzards way of handling the primary problem I had posted about. So in any cause I will most likely be deleting my account if my ban isnt replied to explaining the situation since I dont much appreciate being left in the dark when both my father and I have no clue what could’ve caused this.

They are not going to tell you exactly what software was detected. That is why I pointed out it does not have to be explicitly a formal bot. It could be skill rotation automation, or automating farming activities.

Using a mouse/keyboard macro or something else, to chain together stuff you can’t do with the in-game macro maker will result in the same ban and message.