Authenticator Options

Folks, was wondering if there is any possibility to have the option of using alternate authenticator apps besides the Blizzard one.
There are several good ones available, (Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Authy, etc.
This would make it easier for folks (i.e. have all your accounts on one app), plus most of these offer the option to use a hardware key (Titan security key, Yubico, CryptoTrust, Thetis Fido) which makes it a lot more secure to boot.

Thanks for reading and hopefully this will go somewhere!

30 Likes

Seriously. Please don’t force your own auth app. You make games, not security apps - no need to have one app per vendor.

8 Likes

+1 for 3rd party Authenticator support. I refuse to download/use theirs when I already use the Microsoft one for every other account I have.

7 Likes

Especially when Battle.net Authenticator is not available in all countries (on Apple App Store).

3 Likes

Yeah need other option for 2FA authenticator app too. I especially use Microsoft Authenticator, I’m using it for Call of Duty account now, can I also use it for BattleNet account please?

2 Likes

March 2022 and still no reply from Blizzard

I’m using Microsoft Authenticator for all my logins including Ubisoft, RockStar, Origin (EA), Epic & PlayStation which allows us to do backup and sync with multiple devices, and yet Blizzard can only see the option to force us to use their own authenticator which is rather pathetic

4 Likes

I heard that Microsoft might acquire Activision. So the situation might change in the coming years. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I second the descriptor “Pathetic” in its use to describe the “product” / “authentication app” that’s being pushed/forced onto users/paying customers here. I also would like to add the following labels, “Absolutely Ridiculous, Unnecessary, Unwanted, Purposeless, Wasteful, Bullt, and Just Plain Fing Sad”. How this company can create games that appeal to so many and generate the amount of revenue that they do from game sales, in-game purchases, and whatever other means they obtain their income from, and yet can’t seem to manage to pull their heads out of their annular cavities to figure out that this battle.net authenticator requirement is BAD BUSINESS absolutely blows my freaking mind…
Hey Blizzard, what the he** is wrong with y’all, have you acquired some sort of contagious mental retardation amongst the senior staff and/or shareholders? No, probably not because I think even the mentally handicapped can see how stupid an idea it is to treat your customers in a manner such as this.

Kap10

6 Likes

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would start here since it is exactly my sentiments. I use one Authenticator for all of my other apps. No offense to Blizzard, but after working in the security sector and seeing the horrors of software done by developers I personally distrust all Security tools from companies that are not purely focused and specialized on delivering only security tools.

Did Blizzard add the capability to use your own 3rd party Authenticator yet? If So can someone point me to the directions for it?

4 Likes

+1

I don’t want to have to download another application just for Battle.net auth, we really should be able to use any authentication application, until then I will be sticking with a long randomly generated password

3 Likes

I would love for Yubikeys to be an option here but I understand why Blizzard maintains their own Authenticator. There’s always risk involving applications you have no control over. That aside, I’m 100% in agreement with Yubico and some of these other options.

Seriously. Please don’t force your own auth app. You make games, not security apps - no need to have one app per vendor.

They have an incredible team of security experts. Blizzard’s consumer facing operations at face value is videogames. Their backend operations are an entirely different universe that requires engineers and experts in various fields. They have infrastructure that supports millions of people accessing their servers all over the world, but only thing you as a consumer interacts with is the byproduct of this, Blizzard’s games. They’re more than capable of producing an Authenticator application. It’s not like they went off and told everyone “Hey, we’re making our own encryption algorithm to secure our networks!”

They took an existing, battle hardened API used all over the planet and added a GUI to it. This way that mitigate the risk of other organizations being breached and Blizzard being left out of the loop on it. They have complete and total monitoring coverage of this application probably in an Operations center somewhere.

4 Likes

It’s the end of 2022.

The world is a wasteland of individual services. Netflix. Peacock. HBO Max. Discovery. Disney. Hulu. uConnect. Gamepass. Steam. GOG Galaxy.

Just let me scan a QR code to use a third party app. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

4 Likes

Please make Yubikey support. Mobile authenticator app or SMS authentication is unsecured compared to hardware authentication.
I use Yubikeys for every platform that I have account on where it is possible.

1 Like

PLEASE! Blizzard, allow us to use other technologies in order to protect our account. I saw 2FA mentioned above, and I ask for MFA (might mean same thing?), but which ever - please expand security to better serve your customers. I’ve done this at the University I work at, so I know it’s challenging but can be done. Bless you for hearing us out.

On a completely ridiculous turn of events, my WORK MS authenticator is making me download the Battle-net one in order to be able to log in to work. Not amused.

I’m also of the mindset that if they want me to use their exclusive authentication service, then they need to bring back the option to have a physical fob like they started out with.

1 Like

+1 for Microsoft Authenticator. Hoping Microsoft buys Blizzard just to get a real auth app. As someone stated earlier, you make games, not security apps, so please leave it to experts and allow me to centralize my security and auth options.

For those who want to use a third party authenticator that can also still be achieved (albeit with some effort) further description: