Authenticator Infinite Loop issue

API Bug + Authenticator Bug.

Issue:

Infinite Loop Login screen WITH Authenticator.

Browser:

Vivaldi 5.5.2805.38 (Stable channel) stable (64-bit)

User-Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/106.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Issue Description:

If you enable the use of Authenticator app on your account, you can’t login, because you’re stuck in an infinite loop on the login screen. After entering your password and hitting Login button to go to the next page you are briefly shown on the next page to authorize the login using the Authenticator app. the API call to send the prompt to the mobile app is presented to the device, but before you even click the APPROVE or DENY button, you’re instantly thrown back to the username + password screen, so even if you hit the prompt button on your mobile app, you still can’t login. – By removing the Authenticator app for login, you’re able to login again as normal. This is consistent and will prevent you from logging in entirely until you remove the app itself.

Steps to reproduce:

• Go to Account Settings → Security
  • Click on Set Up An Authenticator
  • Follow the steps to download the app to your mobile device
  • Once installed, open Authenticator app and login
  • Follow prompts to save and backup codes
  • Proceed to login from web page again
  • When prompted briefly after logging in you will be sent the APPROVE or DENY request to the app but can’t login.

Even if you followed from this Support page article 19092 to Clear Cache and Cookies, you still can’t login no matter how many times you do so.

From the looks of things many other people report same issue, so I’m not alone in this one. This is a web page issue, and API issue which receives a Failed Login attempt BEFORE you’re able to select APPROVE or DENY from the Authenticator app. While you’re given the prompt IN the app, the web page is doing other things before it’s received the prompt being approved or denied.

For the time being Authenticator app will remain DISABLED until this is fixed, and I highly recommend others leave it disabled also. If you need to disable it, follow the prompts from the login screen that you can’t login, and select Remove Authenticator and follow the prompts that it gives to remove it so you can login again.

2 Likes

Please fix this. Its been happening for ages & I want to turn my authenticator back on!

2 Likes

Lack of care of security means Blizzard accounts can and will be hacked. Or Blizzard’s backend servers in its entirety is compromised in which someone can and will steal data from Blizzard servers. The next big blunder in security issues waiting to happen due to negligence or acknowledgement from Blizzard team themselves who don’t take these issues seriously.

The headline will read: Blizzard Data Leak of 34.3TB Customer Data

1 Like

I am having the same damn issue! Looping infinite LOG-INs! This is unacceptable >:(

I also just had this issue. I had to completely remove my authenticator just to log in and re-add my authenticator.

This just happened to me. After much frustration, I finally got the authenticator removed.

And I’ll never use it again. :poop::poop::poop:

Hello, I am stuck in this infinite loop, I would like to log in for my guild’s raid night please.

I found a solution.

My default browser on Android is Firefox, but apparently Battle.net couldn’t connect through it.

I logged into my account through the Battle.net mobile app, but got kicked back to the Login page as soon as I enabled the Authenticator. From this page I was experiencing the same loop OP was experiencing - attempt a login, the app tries to process through Firefox, authentication drops me right back to the login again.

1. Completely close the Battle.net mobile app.
  2. Go into your phone settings and look for default apps.
  3. Change your default browser to Chrome — usually already installed if you’re an Android user.
  4. Open the Battle.net app and login again.
  5. Wait for the authentication to automatically complete.

After the process completes you can safely change your default browser back to your preferred browser without being kicked out. I’m not sure if this disconnects you again if you clear Chrome’s data, but as far as getting the app to fully load, this worked for me.

3 Likes

That actually worked. I toggled back to Firefox and I’m still logged in… but I’m also logged in on Firefox the browser. Their “app” is absolutely junk and needs an actual app instead of a half assed PWA implementation.

I suspect this issue is related to cookies. I am trying to enter the Battle.net application through the iPhone and when I try to authorize, the Safari window opens (it does not open another browser), it says that cookies are disabled in my browser, the window is updated during authorization and nothing happens further - it writes that it was not possible to check the account. I tried to open the authorization window in another browser, but there, upon successful authorization, redirects the Battle.net to the application, where the authorization window from the Safari browser is open - nothing happens further.
Safari has already allowed all cookies in the settings, but the problem remains!

1 Like

I am locked out of my main account due to continuous loop of verifying connecting two images. I have tried multiple computers, browsers, cleared cookies and cache. Nothing is working. I sent an email to support but haven’t heard anything back. Any ideas?

Same issue. Every single time I reconnect it, it does this looping after the first login. It’s insane how bad it is.

Now you have to enable the authenticator to create groups in lfg. So lame…fix your crap before you force it on us.

I don’t mind it, hell, I prefer it, but why can’t this fix this. It’s been more than a year at least?!

Apparently it is caused by MetaMask extension.
try deactivating it

I don’t have that extension on my phone, don’t understand how that can be causing my infinite “Still Connecting” loop.

I seem to be encountering a similar issue and created a separate post in a different, and likely wrong category, since I could not find a category that fit the web page login.

Not allowed to post URLs here since I am a new user. But my post is under the “Desktop App Bug Report” category and is called “Authenticator login with Firefox is broken”.

This is broken in at least Firefox because the authenticator page tries to load a URL which 404’s, and I guess the authenticator page will redirect back if it hits any 404. It seems to be possible to work around the issue by blocking this URL:

/login/static/images/toolkit/themes/bnet-next/meta/android-icon-192x192.png

In the Developer Tools you can right-click and “Block URL” for the icon that fails to load, and then login seems to work fine.

Thanks, this fixed it for me!

Had Brave as my default browser…didn’t like that browser either. Worked immediately when I switched to Chrome. Easy to switch it back, of course.