API :: Friends / online presence

For a while now , i’ve had a few Blizzard-API-backed ideas rolling around in my head, that i would have liked (and still would like) to actually build.

However while familiarizing myself with the available API features, I have arrived at the conclusion that the bulk of my ideas seem to fall outside the scope of the current API.

(A simplified stripped down version of) what i would have liked to make, would be a dashboard-style website that, after OAUTH login/approval, displays basically the same data that the Blizzard Desktop App’s “Friendslist” shows.

So i would’ve liked to be able to pull down the users’ BattleTag/RealID friends. Their (display)name, perhaps their avatar, but most importantly, their current online status. Even more amazing would be if the same could be done for regular
World of Warcraft characterlevel-friends and/or Guildmembers; being able to display their current online status.

Do you guys think this is at all something that may one day be possible ? or does it really move way too far away from the intended scope of the API.

I expected i would find tons of questions related to querying Friendslist data and/or online/away/offline-style userstate info. But to my surprise there was hardly a single mention anywhere.

I guess the true absolute dream (just to pile on ;p), ....

… to really be able to build out what i had envisioned to absolute perfection and beyond, would essentially mean that the API offered everything required to build a carbon copy of the Social features that the Desktop Blizzard App implements.
So display a list of friends (with online status), being able to track (or be notified) when a friends status changes (login, logout, away, unaway, entersgame, …) and even receive the chat messages.

Similar to the Chat API (CAPI) in the legacy Battle.net client.

4 Likes