Accounts permanently locked for using the auction house api

Support won’t reply to any of my appeals. They refuse to look into this causing an error in their ban system. Anyone using the auction house api has a chance to get permanently banned from wow. Use at your own risk, the customer support staff is incompetent beyond belief.

This is what got me banned. I’ve made no modifications to the final product, only incremental updates to the item database so new items can be read.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220317211429/https://pypi.org/project/GoblinStockAlerts/

That is the project I was talking about in the other post. To the best of my knowledge the way it worked in the original version should not result in a ban, although it is worth mentioning the ToS did go through changes since the project was discontinued.

Worth mentioning that there are two APIs involved, using the web API will not get anyone banned. The in game API, also known as the XML/Lua API might get people banned if you don’t comply to addon development guidelines.

You must have each lua action bound to a user interaction and only one. You can’t for instance have the user click a button once and place bid in multiple auctions. Even some pre-caching of items had to follow some chain of events.

Again, I’m sorry this happened to you and I do believe this to be an error on the auto ban system unless there were significant changed in the ToS or Addon guidelines.

Edit:

To give more context I’m the developer of GSA companion addon X99Sniper. The reason this project was discontinued was because it came to our attention that some players were already using a “hidden” feature of the in-game AH API that allowed them to perform an infinite search of AH items, virtually rendering useless all the changes implemented by blizzard to throttle in-game API calls. Such feature was in a gray area of exploit/feature since the official AH interface made use of it.
We felt implementing such feature would render the web API portion useless and was too big of a risk since no one would tell us if that was a feature, a bad designed API or even a bug.

Most of the code in X99 was based off the official AH interface at the time. I guess if there were significant changes to the way AH works it is possible the addon could be non compliant with the current state.

Also worth mentioning the project was discontinued and erased from official channels a long time ago so there is no guarantee it is still safe to use.

There’s another addon called Point Blank Sniper that’s using that “feature” to snipe with. If I got banned for using it, there’s going to be a whole lot more people who are going to get banned for it soon. It’s very popular in the goldmaking crowds.

edit: To clarify, I love PBS. I’ve used it since it was released. I even tell people that I snipe items from that I’m using it in game, but I’ve had a lot message me calling me a bot. They say they’re reporting me for sniping their items, which I never thought would get me in any trouble since it’s been a thing forever. Maybe the policy around sniping and taking advantage of addons to get items this way is changing? Who knows, I just know I don’t have any automation tools on my computer. It has to be gsa or pbs that’s causing this since I have nothing else. Or it’s a personal attack.

I would not doubt receiving multiple complaints could play a role because other than that everything you described sounds what many AH related addons are doing already.
The only other thing I can recall from a long time ago was some overlays like the one TeamSpeak had being flagged as cheat, but I’m pretty sure they now have how to disregard legit application usage.

I think your story would be a great one to have any official reply, because without knowing exactly what caused it everyone should be afraid of creating new tools to interact with addons.
I had an idea of having an addon collection data and a client monitoring the files to update a web API regularly to fill the gap we have for classic data, good thing I didn’t even start developing that…

EDIT: Since this forum is mostly focused on the web API, maybe you could also share your story over the Addon development/Lua XML forum.

1 Like

I’m banned, I can’t post on any forum. I would LOVE for a higher up or a blue to come smack me down and prove that I’m lying. I’ve tried to cover everything I could think of in my reports but they locked my bnet for ‘excessive appeals on an already-decided matter’. The one last thing I can think of is when I sent over around 2m gold from an alt bnet. My first and last name are on both accounts so I thought it’d be obvious but that account was suspended for RWT. The only thing I’ve ever done on that account is mail gold back and forth from my main through the mail. I bought a few grey items on the ah for maybe 200k but those were removed item that I wanted the tmogs from. I think that RWT ban may have lead to an investigation on my mains and they assumed I was trying to sell gold on my main because of the M+ carry I had just bought. The macroing ban may have been a placeholder just to perm my accounts without a real explanation.

Either way, I sent them all records of gold swaps and carries(which were two, one AOTC for SL and one M+ for season 1 of DF) I’ve done over Discord but it didn’t mean anything to the rep who suspended me again. They really don’t give a damn after 2 appeals. It’s sad.

Edit; This is an open invitation for any Blue to come prove me wrong. It’d be very stupid of me to lie about anything when I assume Blizzard has all records of any trades I’ve ever done.

edit 2:

I have no way of getting this addressed I guess. It’s against the tos to ever bring this up on any forum. This is a joke of a system.

Hidden from reports, lol

1 Like