100 cpu usage when updating overwatch?

I am trying to update overwatch to the last update and my cpu hits 100 with my fans spinning loudly… If i pause the update its back to normal… What is going wrong? (Updates from other games do not cause that…)
Tried updating my client,going to beta or reinstalling and nothing worked…

Hello Sagnol :wave:

If CPU usage is high when patching Overwatch, it may just mean the game data is being refactored (something we do from time to time to optimize data performance in-game and space usage on the hard drive).

However, we have also seen cases where other programs in the background are spiking CPU usage because they’re interfering with one of the Battle.net app’s patching processes. To address that, please try closing non-Microsoft programs in the background then restarting the patching.

Closing Background Applications

Let’s also check if any of your security programs are reacting to the updating process. It may be necessary to update your virus definitions, or in extreme cases to temporarily disable such programs.

Troubleshooting Security Applications

Best of luck in your adventures :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks but i actually fixed that by turning off download speed limit in background app. Idk why this was happening though…

just want to add my 2c here as well after searching for high CPU usage with the update agent
like Sagnol suggests I had the download speed limited in the Blizzard app, as soon as I turned off the download limit CPU usage dropped significantly
Looks like there is a bug or feature in the download limiting part that causes high CPU usage