Stop removing portals

The portal room was suppose to clean up the mess in Orgrimmar and Stormwind while making things a tad more convenient, not make things worse.

• There’s no way to get to the Caverns of Time
  • No teleport to either Ironforge or Thunder Bluff in the room
  • There’s no way to get to Karazhan/Blasted Lands/Hellfire Peninsula edit: They lied, there is no NPC to teleport to the Blasted Lands
  • The teleports to Pandaria are in a much worse location (Shrine>Forest)
  • Other portal hubs have basically become obsolete due to lacking any portals

Like come on Blizzard, we’re losing more than we’re gaining with this update.

1343 Likes

“An old player request”

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m definitely against the whole “consolidate everyone into one area and make other capitals and spaces irrelevant.”

And if that is the case, then go all the way and relocate the old portals to the new portal room instead getting rid of them outright.

326 Likes

I yearn for the old days when I made piles of gold selling ports.

I would love to see those days come back.

85 Likes

Presumably the portal in Shattrath will remain, which requires some level of KoT rep, I forget what exactly.

• No teleport to either Ironforge or Thunder Bluff in the room

I don’t think there ever has been in the capitals, the portals to all your faction’s cities reside in the current content hub, i.e. Boralus and Dazar’alor.

• There’s no way to get to Karazhan/Blasted Lands/Hellfire Peninsula

There is an NPC to take you to the Blasted Lands, and it’s just a hop through the portal to Hellfire. The Kara portal was just to facilitate Legion Class quests, since that is no longer current, it’s not really needed.

• The teleports to Pandaria are in a much worse location (Shrine>Forest)

The portal in SW/Org-to-MoP already took you to the Jade Forest. This is just lining up with that.

• Other portal hubs have basically become obsolete due to lacking any portals

Good. Pay your local mage for a portal.

47 Likes

Cool, but not all my characters I use the portals on are level 110. All my characters had their hearths in the shrine and those portals got removed. I use the Dalaran portals, but now they’re being removed lmao.

I missed that NPC being mentioned, ty. I combined Kara/Blasted since they’re very close to eachother anyways.

Which is why all my toons had their hearths set to shrine the moment they hit level 87. The shrine is a great/central location compared to the Jade Forest.

Would be fantastic if we could change where the portal goes after completing the quest that unlocks the Vale.

58 Likes

So they want us to go back and do Legion content on alts, but not have access to portals? Especially the lower portals for several quests… wow. No thought there.

220 Likes

Bah just make all portals go to Old Dalaran anyways… we all know the mages are working for the Forsaken!

(this actually would make for a epic April fools joke)

15 Likes

Classic is on it’s way. =P

27 Likes

There is already a discussion thread here:

3 Likes

Blizz devs only play mages confirmed.

24 Likes

I understand that changes can throw people off a bit at first, but I also think they help keep the world of Azeroth feeling alive. When there are fewer portals, does the world feel a bit bigger to you? Do you like that? How difficult is it to get to the locations you mentioned without a direct portal (talking to everybody who isn’t a mage here :wink: ) ?

116 Likes

Portals are a direct link to past content, without them will make getting to and from older areas that much more difficult, so they’ll become ghost towns.

349 Likes

I miss my horde warrior more now. He was an engineer and could teleport to Gadgetzan.

This one is just a stupid ol’ blacksmith that has to fly to the caverns. haha

I do agree that it makes the world feel bigger. It is undeniably less convenient though.

15 Likes

Nope, just feels like travel is being time gated. If you want the world to feel bigger make bigger zones that are more alive.

625 Likes

In my own opinion… No. They don’t make the world feel bigger, they make the world feel longer. I think the current live portals are fair.

I may not be a mage, but I think I have just a little less portal power as them currently. Engineer portals + portal access from hubs (Dal / Org), Org portal shirt, the toy that ports me to Black Temple, and I have the scroll to port me to Hillsbrad. (I might have more I am forgetting)

127 Likes

This is akin to the removal of flight to make the world bigger. I remember playing the game without flight. I remember playing the game without portals everywhere. I personally enjoyed that game and see how it can be fun… I’m no where close to the majority of players…

You opened numerous pandora’s boxes of convenience throughout various portions of the game and have built a community that relies on that convenience. Taking it away now is akin to shooting your own foot.

Build on what you’ve built… don’t tear out the base and expect the rest of the building to just… figure out how to stand up on its own. It’ll fall. As will your community.

223 Likes

How difficult is it to get to the locations you mentioned without a direct portal (talking to everybody who isn’t a mage here :wink: ) ?

Difficult enough that I don’t want to do the content. Without the Dalaran Crater portal, I absolutely would not have done the Love Is In The Air dailies in Silverpine. Making travel less convenient does not make the world feel more alive, it just makes it feel tedious.

169 Likes

I agree, but how convenient should things be for everybody? Why do mages have portals? Should everybody just have the teleport abilities that mages have? I don’t think that’d feel right, heh.

36 Likes

I don’t think time gated means what you think. There are good criticisms out there but saying “TIME GATING!?!?!” to everything isn’t really helpful

25 Likes

And if there was a portal room, transmog, void storage and a barbershop in every single city, then the world would definitely feel alive.

As it stands, they’re killing the other cities even more.

Stop killing the other cities. Let people have choices so the world actually feels larger. Part of the awesomeness of this game was so many cities we could utilize.

304 Likes