Hello,

I had just built a new system with the following components:
Intel Core I5-9600k
Crucial Ballisticx Ram 2x8gb @ 3200
Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard
Crucial M2 1TB SSD
AMD RX580 8GB (more on this)
Antec Gold 650W PSU (more on this)

Installed Win10 and did all its updates.
Installed the latest Radeon drivers and program released July 2020.
Installed WoW by battle.net.

I would get random crashes with error #132 in the game. Sometime within 5 minutes of logging in, sometime in 2 hrs. All the errors say:
ERROR# 132 (0x8100084) Fatal exception!
Program: local program location
Process ID: 12156 (different every time)
Thread ID: 9368 (different every time)
The instruction at ‘xxxx’ referenced memory at ‘xxxx’.
The memory could not be “read”.
Press OK to terminate the application.

Here is what’s weird:
The only thing that was a carry over from a previous computer was the gfx card and the PSU.
When the problem first happened, I took out the gfx card and used a back up Nvidia 1050ti 4gb. There were no crashes.

So I RMA’d the gfx card. The manufacturer send me a brand new in retail box gfx card of the same spec.
At this time, I purchased a new PSU as well, just in case.

Upon receiving the new AMD card I plugged it in and replaced the PSU.
The 132 crashes happened again. Tried to play the game with FPS lock at 60, computer did a hard restart.

Checked temperature of the CPU hovering around 60C and GPU temperature at around 70C in game/in flight with flight master. (without FPS lock)

Tests done:
memtest86 with 4 passes (passed with 0 errors)
Intel extreme tuning utility for 30 minutes CPU stress test and memory stress test for 30 minutes (all passed)

I then re-downloaded the game, crash continues.

I then set the game to dx11 legacy… was good for about 30 minutes.
Then set the game to run as admin… was good for another 30 minutes.

I thought it may have been my M2 SSD drive. Bought a SATA SSD, fresh Win10 install. and the game crashed 1 min in.

Check memory clock speed in bios to make sure that the memory speed is correct @ 3200, it was at 2666. Changed it to 3200, crashed in about an hour.

Ran the single stick 8gb (same ram), no crash.

Changed the banks for the dual channel RAM from A to B. Crashed again.

Used an old 1x8gb ram, did not crash.

Crashed would happen randomly, not specific to areas/zones of the game. It can be in city, in flight, or in instance. Computer never crashes on Win10 alone.

What I don’t understand is, if the problem is the RAM, why didn’t it crash when the Nvidia card was installed? But RAM stress test and memtest86 came back with passing results. My issues point to the RAM, but is WoW specific on RAM or is something wrong with the pairing of the above mentioned parts?

I’m pretty much out of ideas on what I should be doing.

Please help. Thank you.

Hey Iamdin,

A few things come to mind here.

Is the BIOS updated for your motherboard?

Are the Crucial Ballisticx RAM modules on the approved QVL list for that specific motherboard?

Hello Jambrix,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes BIOS is updated to latest version released
No the RAM is not on the approved vendor list /facepalm

But what I don’t understand is… using the same RAM, why didn’t it crash on an inferior Nvidia card but is crashing on a better AMD card. I would think that the RAM needs to be handling more using the Nvidia card as the Nvidia capability is less and relying on the CPU and RAM more?

I will swap out for QVL RAM tomorrow and update.

Thank you for your response.

UPDATE:

So I got new RAM today that is on the QVL list for my motherboard, and also upgraded it to 2x16gb.

The crashes continued with the error# 132.

Is it possible that its the motherboard or the CPU?

I’m completely lost on what to do next.

I’m starting to think that its the Radeon drivers that is causing the issue as this didn’t happen when I was running the Nvidia card.

Iamdin,

At this point I’d be curious what your PC is actually doing when this happens. Can you run userbenchmark for us and save the link you get after running the test? We’ll post it in a bit.

We also need to grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5. Save this as Test2.JPG
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results, as well as your userbenchmark results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your links to userbenchmark/your image host between the two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Hi Drakuloth,

Thank you for your reply.
My user benchmark can be found here:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31561346

I know that my GPU and CPU isn’t overheating at all, simply because I turned down the graphics to default 7. GPU hovers around 70C and CPU is around 50-60C with monitors in the background while I was online.

But I think I solved my own problem. I was just online for 4 hours and the game did not crash.

What I did was simple, I downgraded my BIOS to a previous version.
My board was purchased Mid-July so it came with the newest BIOS already updated, all I did was downgraded it, reset all BIOS setting to factory settings.

I’m guessing that the new BIOS doesn’t like WoW?

I will post if new crashes occurs.

Hey again,

Glad to hear that reverting to an older BIOS helped out here. Hopefully it holds up, but feel free to reply again if the crashes return.

We have seen some issues with newer BIOS versions on the AMD Ryzen platform specifically with Ryzen 5 3600 CPUs, but I haven’t seen anything like this with Intel CPUs. Perhaps it was a BIOS setting issue though that was causing it, and reverting it reset the settings to defaults. Either way, hopefully you were able to get back to enjoying the game.

Take care!