A Message from Alan Dabiri

In my 20-plus years at Blizzard, I’ve had the privilege of working on many awesome Blizzard games in roles ranging from software engineer to technical director to game director. Across my many roles and games, my experience working on Heroes of the Storm ranks among the best of my development career. I’ve witnessed Heroes’ evolution from a StarCraft II mod to the amazing game you see today. Heroes’ development has been fueled by the shared excitement of our team and all of you in the community, and the game we’ve built together is the game I play almost every night.

One of the best things about developing Heroes is the fact that this team is not afraid to try new things while always striving to learn and grow. It’s been part of our DNA from the very beginning, and it’s through years of experimentation that we’ve hit our stride both as a development team, and as a game. This is possible because Heroes has an exceptional development team of both Blizzard veterans and fresh faces who are all highly engaged with the game we’re making, and the players we’re making it for.

It’s in this spirit of trying new things that I want to let everyone know that a few months ago, I accepted an opportunity to transition off my role as Heroes’ game director to heed Blizzard’s call and begin a new adventure elsewhere within the company. The game director has always been one part of the overall leadership team that drives Heroes forward and it’s been a privilege to work among some of the best game developers at every level on the team all the way up to our production director, Kaéo Milker. Leaving a team and game that I love is incredibly difficult, but seeing the steady strength, creativity, and commitment that Kaéo and the design, engineering, and art leadership teams consistently bring to Heroes has given me more than enough confidence to make this decision. I trust that the game is in the very best hands and their work these past few months has only reinforced my belief.

They’ve released awesome new heroes like Yrel, Whitemane, Mephisto, and now Mal’Ganis, while building on the themed content drops that let the team do fun things that only Heroes can do. They brought the smackdown (plus my favorite mount, the Luchihuahua!) with Nexomania, finally brought an epic slice of Azeroth into the Nexus with the Alterac Pass Battleground, and joined the Raven Lord’s forces with the Fall of King’s Crest. On top of that, the team has also released awesome reworks like Raynor and Brightwing while adding exciting updates like third ban and Team League improvements. With so many awesome content and feature updates, you can see why I believe that the team has brought us the best year of Heroes of the Storm so far.

And they’re not done yet. Heroes has one of the most passionate and dedicated development teams I’ve had the pleasure of working with, and they have a ton of exciting new content in development. I can’t wait for you all to see what they have in store for the rest of this year and beyond. You can bet that I’ll be right there enjoying it with you as it’s released, too. I’m sure you’ll agree when I say that Heroes is in a great place and I promise that it’s in the hands of the best possible people to continue driving it forward. Kaéo and the Heroes team are people who play almost every night who also happen to get to work on making the game what it is today. With our continued input and support, they’ll keep doing what they do best by making Heroes of the Storm the most awesome game it can possibly be.

I just want to sign off by saying thank you to all of you. I’ve had an incredible time working on this game and seeing you bring the battlegrounds to life every day. I’m so grateful for the enthusiasm you’ve brought to Heroes and all the changes you’ve encouraged us to make. I know the team deeply appreciates the feedback you share, so please keep it coming—and as always, I’ll see you in the Nexus!

-Alan

136 Likes

cya, thx for giving it a go.

9 Likes

So… are you saying this Kaeo Miller guy is your replacement? Cuz the way it’s worded is not very clear and just sounds like you’re giving him a shoutout.

Well anyways, thanks for all the stuff you’ve given to us in your reign. We’ve got some really good heroes released like Kel’thuzad, Garrosh(though I’m still not too keen on his kit), Stukov, Maltheal, and now Mal’ganis. I hope the next guy also gives us heroes as amazing as the ones you chose and good luck on the next project at Blizzard you work on whatever it shall be.(probably will get revealed at Blizzcon)

8 Likes

The guy is resigning and passing on the baton, and you people still find negative stuff to slam on his face? Just say thank you for the work and move on, or if you don’t have any good thing to say bid him farewell.

To Alan
I hope wherever you go and work with you have the same passion and more, and may you have more success. But if you love doing something that’s a success. Thanks for your leadership, and I hope HotS moves forward stronger than ever with the new leadership.

91 Likes

I’ll throw ideas, bring the speculations, empathize on the created tactics, and as well glorify behind lore of the characters (which I think is amazing). You do you fam, bring us your amazing creativity, and we’ll keep our seat belts tight.

2 Likes

gl at “other stuffs”. can i make this like a mmo leaving thread? can i have all your stuff if your leaving:P

7 Likes

While i didn’t like a alot of the decisions that you made with this game. I hope that you learn from the experience here and better yourself with it to make better quality games/content in blizzard.

25 Likes

I’m so sorry for saying this, but I honestly forgot who you were or that you were the game director.

Thank you for giving your go at this wonderful game although.

9 Likes

I pray for the next HotS game director to be pushing hard for Mei’s release.

5 Likes

Good luck with your new job/project!
Both 2017 and 2018 were great years, so thank you for everything!

6 Likes

For what i remember i liked more changes than i disliked, so good work i guess and have fun in that new position.

Now to hope the new lead keeps the good stuff while undoing the not so good changes.

10 Likes

Thanks Alan! You and your team brought a lot of great changes to the game during your tenure. Will miss ya!

4 Likes

Hope the transition goes smoothly and your new experience is enjoyable and fun :drum: ETC :drum:

4 Likes

I appreciate your best attempts at making this game great, unfortunately the game still needs a ton of work. Hopefully you’re replacement actually listens to the community before we lose another streamer/content creator/caster like Grubby. This should be a wake up call that the game needs changed.

Good luck in whatever endeavor you move on to, Alan. GLHF!

20 Likes

All the best for your future endeavors. And for the new director congratulations!

3 Likes

Best of luck, cap dab!

2 Likes

HotS 3.0 incoming I guess

13 Likes

With a brand new currency!!! Yay! what I always wanted.

A currency so you can purchase currency with your currency.

Seriously 2.0 was Blizzard’s present to ITSELF. Like my BF buying me a birthday gift game title he really has been wanting to play.

13 Likes

Good luck with the next step!

2 Likes

Best of luck on your next adventure! I’ve fell in love with Heroes even after being skeptical about mobas. You and your team have done well with the improvements shipped lately and should be recognized for such.

Take care, friendo.

3 Likes